To ensure that AsiaCALL messages do not get redirected to spam, please register contact2 AT asiacall DOT org in your contact list
Security has been increased because of spamming attempts.
Please report any difficulties you may experience logging in by using the Contact Us form (under forms on the menu)
STOP PRESS! AsiaCALL2013
AsiaCALL2013, the 12th AsiaCALL International Conference, will be held on 20-23 November 2013 and will be hosted by Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand.
The Keynote speakers of AsiaCALL 2013 are:
Dr. Aisha Walker – She is a Senior Lecturer in ICT and Education at the University of Leeds (UK). She leads the MA Technology, Education and Learning and the MA TESOL and ICT at the university. She is co-author of Technology Enhanced Language Learning: Connecting theory and practice published by Oxford University Press (2013).
Associate Professor Dr. Rachel Roxas – She is the Dean of School of Computer Studies,De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines. She established the Natural Language Processing research in the Philippines. She recently completed the project “Automatic Detection of Code Switching Points”, a project funded by the Dept. of Science and Technology of the Philippines. She is currently the Project Leader of the ASEAN Statistical Machine Translation System-Philippine Component.
Associate Professor Sonthida Keyuravong – She is a teacher trainer at the Department of Language Studies, King Mongkut University of Technology, Thonburi, Thailand. Her main interests lie in self-access learning, technology in language learning and materials development. She is the editor of ELTeCS East Asia, and she also co-ordinates the US-based educational network (iEARN) to encourage Thai students to do online collaborative projects with students from other countries.
GENERAL CONFERENCE INFORMATION
Conference dates are 20 November to 23 November 2013 but please note:
On 20 November, we will hold the Doctoral Consortium and the Pre-Conference workshops.
On 21 - 23 November we will hold the Conference proper.
This year, the programme will include a Doctoral Consortium, and Workshops as part of our NEW Pre-conference Events, as well as Plenaries, a Symposium, an Open Mic. session (also a new event), Individual Papers, and Workshops.
This year, Four Scholarships (registration fee exemption only) will be available. Conditions for the scholarships will be found under the AsiaCALL2013 Conference Menu. The Application form is incorporated in the Abstract Submission form.
We also have a Special Fee Structure to help delegates from Low-Income Group Countries
Further details (including all of our new events), the full Call for Papers and Abstract Submission form are available by clicking on the Conferences TAB above, then clicking on AsiaCALL2013.
"Innovation and Renovation in TELL in Asia"
- New theoretical models for Technology-Enhanced learning and teaching
- Academic and Professional Development programs in TELL/CALL
- Developments in Mobile Teaching and Learning
- Collaborative and/or Interactive Learning with Technology
- Teaching and Learning Practices with Social Media Technologies and Beyond
- E-learning and its Challenges
- Minimally Invasive Technology and Language Learning
- The Role of Teacher and Learner in Technology-Enhanced Learning
- Teacher Education and Technology Integration
- Digital Game-Based Learning and gamification
- Virtual Communities and Teaching Learning Practices
- Technologies for Teacher Education
- Creating and/or Managing Online Teaching Learning Environments
- New Developments in Pedagogy of Language Teaching and/or Content with Technology
- Technology & Assessment Practices
- Multimedia-Based Teaching and Learning
- National, Regional and International Challenges and/or Reforms in Technology Use
- Cyber-culture, identity and language
- Blended Learning and Technologies
- Other Related Areas
|Call for papers
||5 May - 5 August 2013
|Notification of Acceptance
||15 August 2013
||1 August – 30 September 2013
||1 October - 20 November 2013
||20 - 21 November 2013
|Pre-Conference Workshops and Doctoral Consortium
||20 November 2013
|Conference proper (inc. Plenaries and Concurrent sessions)
||21 - 23 November 2013
At the AsiaCALL2012 International Conference in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, a new AsiaCALL Committee structure was approved by the Annual General Meeting. It consists of 1 President, 3 Vice-Presidents in charge of quasi-autonomous areas with specific responsibilities (Administrative Services; Research & Innovation; Communication, Networking & Events); 1Web Manager; 2 Editorial positions (Editor of Publications and Executive Editor of Publications); Six Committee Members to support the activities of the Vice-Presidents as well as other activities.
Names and short bios of all persons elected can be found on the AsiaCALL website at http://asiacall.org/network/?q=page/asiacall-committee-2012
The re-structure also increased the total number of committee members to sixteen (three additional members were coopted). Also, we now have representatives from (in alphabetical order): Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, thus significantly increasing the diversity of representation.
The Vice-Presidents are currently constructing their working units (involving all other committee members) but, in the meantime, they and the Editors have begun planning for a very active year:
- Dr. Pham Vu Phi Ho (Administrative Services) is reviewing, inter alia, administrative tasks in preparation for generating the final version of the constitution and other administrative structures, such as membership structures, voting, consultative procedures and ensuring transparency of decision-making.
- Dr. Ania Lian (Research and Innovation) has created two new websites in support of research activities in the field, including graduate and undergraduate support and research advocacy. They are: The AsiaCALL Research and Innovation Virtual Professional Learning Community at https://sites.google.com/site/asiacallplc/ and a special Facebook page: The AsiaCALL Phd and Research Chat Page at http://www.facebook.com/AsiaCallPhdAndResearchChat. All are encouraged to join both these sites and to invite colleagues to join even if they are not in the field of CALL as discussions will extend beyond CALL per se.
- Dr. Kalyan Chattopadhyay (Communication, Networking & Events) is reviewing the Association's relationship-building efforts, including connections, linkages and special events. He is currently considering expressions of interest in holding the AsiaCALL2013 and subsequent conferences and is also preparing a special series of webinars (more details of this exciting new development later).
- Associate Professor Dr. Cynthia Doss (Editor of Publications) and Professor Dr. Christine Sabieh (Executive Editor of Publications) are gearing up for the forthcoming publication efforts (e.g. Online Journal and Proceedings 2013).
Best wishes to everybody. I look forward to a great year.
Another AsiaCALL International Conference has come to a successful close. We had a wonderful time in Ho Chi Minh City and made some important steps forward.
None of this would have been possible without the great support of Ho Chi Minh City Open University, its Rector Assoc. Professor Dr. Le Bao Lam, Vice-Rectors Dr. Le Thi Thanh Thu, Dr. Nguyen Van Phuc, and Assoc. Professor Dr. Nguyen Thuan and of course AsiaCALL2012 President Dr. Pham Vu Phi Ho, Coordinator of the MA TESOL Program.
Particular thanks are due to Dr. le Thi Thanh Thu and Dr. Pham Vu Phi Ho and their teams of wonderful people. They were literally everywhere to help and troubleshoot whenever necessary.
Congratulations also to all the participants who made such wonderful contributions at every possible level and who made the conference possible in the first place. Your creativity and enthusiasm as expressed in all of your presentations, interventions and intellectual and professional activities enhanced all of our lives.
AsiaCALL's thanks and gratitude to you all!
See you at the next conference and keep an eye on this site for further developments.
About the AsiaCALL website
Welcome to the AsiaCALL Professional Networking site. This site replaces the previous AsiaCALL website (you will be automatically redirected here if you attempt to go to asiacall.org).
This site is a social site in the spirit of Facebook and is designed to enable people to share and discuss all activities that they engage in relating to the field of Technology-Enhanced Language-Learning (TELL) and Computer-Assisted Language-Learning (CALL).
The central communication and relationship-building structures of the site are Communities. These can be set up in a variety of ways and will enable people with an affinity for one another to grow together.
You are invited to join a Community or even to create one. Each community has its own Articles, Discussions (like a forum), Documents, Blogs, Wikis and other features. At very least you should join the Our Community group.
The Community nature of this site means that its success will depend on contributions from its members. Basically, it is the members' site and it is largely up to members to make sure that the site is successful.
Please feel free to explore the website's facilities and to make suggestions.
Features of the site
Below are some of the features of the site (in addition to its social construction, spam-resistant inter-member communication and the usual information dissemination). Some of these features may be available only if you are a registered user.
- A repository of member-contributed documents and links as well as blog entries and discussions (principally in the Document Repository community but elsewhere too).
- A live bibliography/directory of published and unpublished research and a directory of work in progress. This facility can be accessed in a self-managed mode of operation and personal bibliographies can be embedded in other websites too. For instance, you can store your information in the bibliography and display it on any number of other sites. Consult the Bibliography/Research menu item under Goodies above. This facility is offered as a way of generating an up-to-date list of research and work in progress.
- The site provides a listing of an AsiaCALL-accredited Panel of Experts and consultants in CALL/TELL. Listing as an AsiaCALL-accredited expert requires completing an application and being approved by the AsiaCALL accreditation panel. Accreditation may provide valuable professional and academic recognition and may attract requests for consultancy work or assist with academic promotion.
- The site also provides a listing of Employment, Consultancy and Research Collaboration opportunities. Access is through the Goodies menu TAB above.
Please feel free to suggest more functionalities. We hope that you will connect to lots of interesting people and have a great time.
Finally, please note that all materials, facilities and interactions involving this website are subject to the AsiaCALL Terms of Service and, beyond that, the absolute control of AsiaCALL.
New AsiaCALL website
The old AsiaCALL website has been replaced by this one. The normal AsiaCALL address (http://asiacall.org) will automatically redirect you here. The new site will be information-rich. Make sure you check the front page and the right-hand column. Also make sure you set your notification options to get information about the things and the posts you are interested in.
One of the important purposes of this new site is to enable members to create their own communities. This is already working and a number of communities have been created, including a community focusing on critical thinking and professional development linking students from around the world with each other and AsiaCALL professionals. For details, visit the Groups page. You are encouraged to join this group and any group that you are interested in.
We are very keen to improve communication between all members of AsiaCALL. To that end, we have created a couple of extra structures in addition to the ones outlined above. The first one is From the President's Chair, a blogging facility for the President to report directly to you and the second is From the Chief Editor's Chair so that the Chief Editor can also give you the latest updates relating to AsiaCALL publications. You can access these two blogs from the Goodies menu.
Selected presentations (including video recordings of keynotes and plenaries - and their powerpoints) from the AsiaCALL2011 International Conference will be made available progressively through the AsiaCALL2011 Presentations group.
Here is the link: http://asiacall.org/network/?q=group/asiacall2011-proceedings-and-presentations
Some material will be freely available, other will require people to be registered members of AsiaCALL.